We are delighted to invite you to apply for a scholarship with the Initiative Group Alpbach Albania to attend this year’s European Forum Alpbach from August 16 to September 1, 2017, held in the village of Alpbach in the Austrian Alps.
What is the European Forum Alpbach?
The European Forum Alpbach is an annual conference in the Austrian Alps that has been attracting world leading thinkers and practitioners since 1945: economist Friedrich Hayek, physicist Erwin Schrödinger and philosopher Theodor Adorno attended regularly, as have more recently UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, EU Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, and economist Jeffrey Sachs.
Every year, about 4,000 participants from over 60 countries meet to discuss emerging trends in eight broad fields: European and international politics, technology, economics, law, financial markets, public health, higher education, as well as architecture and urban planning. Each of these fields has a dedicated “symposium” in the conference schedule. All of the events, however, are united by a loose, overarching theme: in 2017, the European Forum Alpbach takes on the question of “Conflict & Cooperation”.
An essay on this year’s theme can be found on www.alpbach.org and the detailed conference programme will be published in March. Note that almost all of the Forum’s events are conducted in English and there’s no requirement to know German.
If you fancy giving your summer a social and intellectual boost at 1,000 meters above sea level, then send us your application by March 31, 2017!
Our scholarship covers the entire conference fee (1,400€). While we do not cover costs for accommodation we have pre-reserved affordable accommodation in the centre of Alpbach. Travel costs and meals are not included.
Successful applicants will be invited to a scholarship award ceremony in August 2017, hosted at the Austrian Ambassador’s Residence in Tirana or at the Austrian Embassy in Tirana.
Whom we are looking for
- Students and recent graduates under 30 who study or work in Albania. Since we aim at further promoting internationality at the Forum, Austrians are not eligible to apply for our scholarship. Austrian applicants should refer to one of the Austrian Clubs (Forum Alpbach Network).
- Individuals who represent a wide spectrum of opinions, and academic and professional backgrounds.
- Ideally you plan to be in Albania from September 2017, as we hope you will continue to play an active role in our group. However, this is not a mandatory requirement to apply.
- In particular, we are looking for individuals who
- enjoy interdisciplinary debates with a broad variety of people,
- are outgoing and interested in making contacts across Europe,
- have shown engagement beyond their work and study commitments (in extracurricular activities, university societies, charitable work etc.).
Please note that we require our scholarship holders to attend the Forum in its entirety (17 days), so please only apply if you are available for the whole period.
We are committed to equal opportunities and we aim at selecting a balanced number of candidates from various ethnic origins, gender, religions and sexual orientation.
How to apply
To apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org containing the following documents
- Motivation letter (one page) answering each of the following questions
- Your reasons for applying
- Your free and critical thoughts about this year’s topic “Conflict & Cooperation”
- Why you should be awarded a scholarship
- What you plan to do after graduating (if applicable), and whether you plan to be in Albania from September 2017
- Your CV (max two pages). Please note that your CV must contain your age, nationality and current residence. The application deadline is March 31, 2017 at 23.59 CET, and will not be extended.
We will contact you in April with feedback on the success of your application. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us as at email@example.com.
We look forward to hearing from you!
The Initiative Group Alpbach Albania Team